The RAF Millom Aviation & Military Museum was a museum of the British Royal Air Force bombing and gunnery school, located in Millom, Cumbria.Opened in January 1941 as No.2 bombing and gunnery school and in summer became No. 2 air observer School. In 1942 it became No. 2 Observer Advanced Flying Unit until 1945 and in 1946 it was put under care and maintenance until 1953 when it was reopened for a 12-month period as No.1 Officer Cadet Training Unit. No. 1 O.C.T.U. departed the station in September 1953, and relocated to RAF Jurby, Isle of Man.RAF Millom was then again put under care and maintenance until the 1960s when various army regiments passed through. HM Prison Service took it over in 1967. The museum project originated in a very small way in 1992, however due to a great deal of hard work by volunteers and ex-servicemen and women of the old RAF Millom the collection has all but outgrown the present buildings and the yard.Museum closureThe museum was in financial difficulties during the summer of 2010 and was asked to vacate its current main site by the Ministry of Justice - owners of the buildings the museum occupies which is part of the original airfield now occupied by Her Majesty's Prison Haverigg. Negotiations failed regarding a new lease agreement.
Tags: RAF Millom Museum Millom,Local Business Millom,RAF Millom Museum address,RAF Millom Museum branch,RAF Millom Museum contact,RAF Millom Museum contact number,RAF Millom Museum about,RAF Millom Museum history,RAF Millom Museum website,RAF Millom Museum timings,RAF Millom Museum email address,Millom weather,Millom houses for sale,jobs Millom